YouTube is one of the most popular video-sharing platforms in the world, with billions of users and hours of content. Many people enjoy watching YouTube videos on their tablets, as they offer a larger screen and better sound quality than smartphones. But can you get YouTube on an Amazon Fire tablet?
What Is an Amazon Fire Tablet?
An Amazon Fire tablet is a computer that runs on Fire OS, a customized version of Android. Fire OS is designed to integrate with Amazon’s services and products, such as Alexa, Prime Video, Kindle, and Audible. Fire tablets also come with the Amazon Appstore, which offers thousands of apps and games for download.
However, the Amazon Appstore only has some of the apps that are available on the Google Play Store, which is the official app store for Android devices. This means some popular apps, such as YouTube, are not natively supported on Fire tablets.
Want to Know more about Amazon Fire Tablets or want to Purchase, Check Here on Amazon.
Can You Get YouTube on Amazon Fire Tablet?
The answer is yes, but only with some extra steps. There are two main ways to get YouTube on an Amazon Fire tablet: using a web browser or installing the Google Play Store.
Using a Web Browser
The easiest way to watch YouTube videos on your Fire tablet is to use a web browser, such as Silk or Firefox. You can go to youtube.com and browse or search for videos as you normally would. You can also sign in to your YouTube account and access your subscriptions, playlists, history, and more.
However, using a web browser has some drawbacks. For one thing, you may not be able to watch videos in full-screen mode or adjust the playback quality. For another, you may encounter some ads or pop-ups that interfere with your viewing experience. Moreover, you will not be able to use some features exclusive to the YouTube app, such as picture-in-picture mode, offline viewing, or background play.
Installing the Google Play Store
To have the full YouTube app on your Fire tablet, you must install the Google Play Store first. The Google Play Store is the official app store for Android devices, and it has millions of apps and games that are not available on the Amazon App Store. By installing the Google Play Store, you can download and update the YouTube app, as well as other Google apps and services.
However, installing the Google Play Store on your Fire tablet is a complex process. You must enable apps from unknown sources, download and install four APK files from a trusted website, and sign in to your Google account. You will also need to ensure that your Fire tablet is compatible with the Google Play Store and that you have enough storage space for the files.
How Does an Amazon Fire Tablet Differ From an Android Tablet?
As mentioned earlier, an Amazon Fire tablet runs on Fire OS, which is a modified version of Android. This means both types of tablets share similarities, such as using touchscreens, supporting Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connections, and accessing various apps and games.
However, there are also some differences between an Amazon Fire tablet and an Android tablet. Here are some of them:
- An Amazon Fire tablet is more affordable than most Android tablets. For example, the Fire 7 (2022) costs $49.99, while the Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 (2020) costs $229.99.
- An Amazon Fire tablet is more focused on content consumption than productivity. For example, it has a built-in Alexa voice assistant to help you play music, watch videos, read books, and more. It also has a Show Mode that turns your tablet into a brilliant display.
- An Amazon Fire tablet has more limitations than an Android tablet. For example, it does not have native access to the Google Play Store or third-party browsers like Chrome or Firefox. It also has fewer customization options and settings than an Android tablet.
If you want to know more about Tablets and how to choose best Tablet for your needs you can read our detailed blog about Best Tablet Buying Guide.
How to Get Google Play Store on a Fire Tablet?
If you want to install the Google Play Store on your Fire tablet, you will need to follow these steps:
- Enable apps from unknown sources. Go to Settings > Security & Privacy > Apps from Unknown Sources > Silk Browser > Allow From This Source.
- Download the Google Account Manager file. Go to 20 if you have Fire OS 6 or newer (64-bit) or 21 if you have Fire OS 5 or earlier (32-bit). Tap on Download APK and wait for it to finish.
- Download the Google Services Framework file. Go to 22 and tap on Download APK.
- Download the Google Play Services file. Go to 23 if you have Fire OS 6 or newer (64-bit) or 24 if you have Fire OS 5 or earlier (32-bit). Tap on Download APK.
- Download the Google Play Store file. Go to 25 and tap on Download APK.
- Install the files in the following order: Google Account Manager, Google Services Framework, Google Play Services, and Google Play Store. To do this, open the Silk Browser and tap on the menu icon (three horizontal lines) at the top left corner. Tap on Downloads and then tap on each file to install it. You should grant some permissions and tap on Install or Done for each file.
- Restart your Fire tablet. Press and hold the power button and then tap on Restart.
- Sign in to the Google Play Store. Open the Google Play Store app from your home screen or app drawer. Enter your Google account credentials and agree to the terms and conditions.
How to Get YouTube on an Amazon Fire Tablet?
Once you have installed the Google Play Store on your Fire tablet, you can quickly get YouTube by following these steps:
- Open the Google Play Store app from your home screen or app drawer.
- Search for YouTube in the search bar at the top.
- Tap on YouTube from the results and then tap on Install.
- Wait for the app to download and install on your Fire tablet.
- Open the YouTube app from your home screen or app drawer.
- Sign in to your YouTube account to access your subscriptions, playlists, history, and more.
Why Does YouTube Not Run Smoothly on Amazon Fire Tablets?
Sometimes, you may experience some issues with YouTube on your Fire tablet, such as buffering, freezing, crashing, or low quality. This can be due to various reasons, such as:
- Your internet connection could be faster or more stable. To fix this, try moving closer to your router, switching to a different Wi-Fi network, or using mobile data if available.
- Your Fire tablet needs more storage space or memory. To fix this, try deleting unwanted apps, files, or cache data from your device. You can also restart your device to clear some memory.
- Your Fire tablet is running an outdated version of Fire OS or YouTube app. To fix this, try updating your device software and app version from the settings menu.
- Your Fire tablet is not compatible with the YouTube app. To fix this, try installing a different version of the YouTube app from the Google Play Store or using a web browser instead.
YouTube is a great way to enjoy videos on your Fire tablet, but it requires some extra steps to get it working correctly. By installing the Google Play Store and the YouTube app, you can access millions of videos and features unavailable on the Amazon App Store. However, you should also be aware of the potential issues and solutions that may arise when using YouTube on your Fire tablet.
We hope this article has helped you understand how to get YouTube on an Amazon Fire tablet and how it differs from an Android tablet. If you have any questions or feedback, feel free to comment below.